Home About

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Our Trip to Twin Falls! Part 1

The girls and I drove (by ourselves) to Twin Falls.  This is the farthest I have driven without "Daddy" and anyone who knows me knows that this was a true feat!  I was incredibly nervous, but "Katie" and I both felt that God had something so wonderful that He wanted to share with us on this journey and He did!

Here we are at the peak of the beautiful Blue Mountains with about 6 hours down, about 5 "pee stops" made, one trip to Jack in the Crack,  2 stops for gas (just to be safe) and 6 more hours to go!
What you dont see in this pic is the vacant Greyhound bus we're looking at.  It was vacant, door wide open, and nobody to be found.  Can anyone say, "Creepy"?  Let's just say that as soon as this pic was taken (by a couple who just pulled in as we were running back to the car)... we were outta there!  ("Katie", Did you get a pic of that?)

We stopped off in La Grande to pee and get an ice cream cone!  This must be where everybody stops, as the line for an ice cream cone was outragious and the line for the bathroom was even worse!  While we were in the lines we kept hearing this horrible whistling sound.  It sounded like either a plane was going to land on our heads or a train was shouting out his warning before hitting us.  I finally was able to take my turn in the pee room.  R-E-L-I-E-F!  I flushed the toilet and found the whisting culprit... the toilet.  YIKES!  As I walked out of the restroom, I was half expecting all the employees to cheer and wondering whether I should take a bow or start a wave.  Knowing that I have 2 daughters that would probably melt and die right there on the spot, I thought better. Back on the road...

We stopped off again in Ontario.  The last stop before I have to start pumping my own gas. This time we ALL had to pee and eat.  As we were getting the car gased up, the attendent asked us where were going.  "Twin Falls, Baby"! I said, thinking we only has about an hour left.  He looked at me and smiled.  Ever so tenderly he replied, "You still have 3 hours to go."  What??? Mapquest lied...  How did this 10 hour trip turn into 13 hours?  Did I really have to stop and pee that much? Don't answer... Back on the road...

YaHoo!  We were finally in I-da-ho! The home of many potatoes!!! And the speed limit? 75, Baby!  And being the adventurous daring person that I am, I went 80! Boo-yah!  As we drove further down, the speed immediately changed to 55... then back to 60... then 75 for a few seconds, then 45... I'm not kidding!  Thank God I had my handy dandy little "radar detector" (called "Belly") in the backseat to keep me in check.  I told her, "Sheesh!  It takes time for my foot to adjust to the speed!" "Katie" said, "I'd love to see you tell that one to a judge..." ...We drove on...

We stopped off again in Boise at a rest stop... Yes, I have an old lady bladder!  But what a rest area!  It was almost worth the trip just to see such a fine establishment.  So neat... so clean... As we're walking around the restroom getting decorating ideas and ooing and awing, I am sure that someone was probably wondering what planet we just landed from.  When we got back in the car "Katie" said, "What a boring place.  There wasn't any stories to read!  Who am I going to call?"  Back on the road...

Searching for radio stations... Let me tell ya, this area had more mexican channels than I had pee stops!  We did hear one catchy tune.  We weren't sure what they were singing, but it sounded something like: "I-want-sum-mustard...in-my-burr-i-to!!! Don-give-me-a-taco!!! Jus-a-burr-i-to!!! And-a-hot-dog-o!!!"  As "Katie" began to do the shimmy and I played air marracas (Steph was somewhere on the floor), we passed a vehicle full of innocent bystanders who I am sure thought, "I don't think they are from around here".

Finally... We reached Twin Falls and are greeted with one of the most breath-taking views ever!  I have no idea what the place was called, but it was a beautiful canyon that we drove over.  I knew right then and there that this place was going to be amazing...

Peace Out...