Home About

Saturday, August 7, 2010

I Know Who Holds My Hand...

"For I hold you by your right hand—
I, the Lord your God.
And I say to you,
‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you."
Isaiah 41:13

The girls and I have been reading through A Daughter's Worth and our most recent discussion was on fear... of the unknown.   "What if Mom or Dad get really sick?"  "What if we get in a really bad car wreck?" "What college should I go to?"  "What will my future hold?"  "What if I make the wrong choice?" "What if Daddy loses his job?" Etc. Etc. Etc. Well? What if?

As we read and meditated on Isaiah 41:13, this is the picture that God painted on my heart...

In a lush green yard was a joyful little child playing ball with her dog.  Her Father sat on the front porch lovingly watching her play and warmly smiling.  The child, being lost in her own dreamland of princesses and ponies, was giggling and jumping.  The harder she seemed to laugh, the more joy that was revealed in her father's eyes.

What the sweet child could not see was the car that was a block away- the car that was now right around the corner and approaching quite rapidly.  The father recognized the sounds of danger and began running in her direction.  The ball rolled into the street and the unaware child ran out to retrieve it.

She glanced up and saw the image getting larger and larger.  The horn blared.  Tires screeched.  Her eyes widened and heart seemed to stop.

She felt strong arms reach around her- lifting her high off the ground and bringing her to safety. 

As they sat down on the curb, they cried and he held on to her- not letting her go.

Ava H Sturgeon writes: "Your Father knows what will happen tomorrow.  In fact, He has forged ahead to make sure that you'll be safe and protected.  And when rough spots happen along the way, He promises to stay right with you.  Afterall, that's what good parents do."
--------------

I Know Who Holds Tomorrow
by Ira Stanphill

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from it's sunshine,
For it's skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said,
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

I don't know about tomorrow,
It may bring me poverty;
But the One Who feeds the sparrow,
Is the One Who stands by me.
And the path that be my portion,
May be through the flame or flood,
But His presence goes before me,
And I'm covered with His blood.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.
--------------
In Him,